Bert was born in 1885. He was one of a number of apiarists in the early 1900s. Was popular with young people. He was a general carrier, transporting wool and other produce, and a wood cutter.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 357 residents
The Mount Sturgeon Masonic Lodge No 196 was consecrated in 1904 when the Foundation Master was Wor. Bro. A.E. Lineker. They held their meetings in the second storey of the bluestone Family Inn.
Old Dunkeld cemetery was closed to burials.
Emma came to Victoria Valley soon after the turn of the century to teach at the Victoria Point School, at the edge of the Bryan's swamp at Panyabbyr. She lived in the school room until she married John Napier, and then on his property "Bluff Eden". She was best remembered for her musical abilities.
Mr Manly built a Motor Garage In Parker St Dunkeld. Operators on this site over the years were-Hugh & Bert Dixon, Sam & Mervyn Napier, Les Clark, R.I.King, Bert Koopman.
Close ties with Dunkeld in Scotland were made when our school exchanged flags with our Scottish friends, forming many penfriendships that remain today. On May 24 1910, Dunkeld held a Patriotic Concert in the Mechanics Hall on Empire night. The proceeds were used to exchange the flags.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 512 residents
Present day Catholic Church was built about 1912 in Martin St, Dunkeld.
Dunkeld Methodist Church foundation stone laid on 16th August 1913 at 3.30 pm.
The Colonial Bank, Dunkeld merged with the National Bank of Australia, which took over the receiving office at Dunkeld.
John Downes arrived in Dunkeld in 1918 and from the early 1920s until 1939, he held the contract with Mount Rouse Shire to serve as the lamplighter for the township of Dunkeld
Unveiling of the WW1 Honor Roll in the Mechanic's Hall, 5th April 1919.
First Air Letter arrives at Dunkeld.
The Dunkeld Branch of the PWMU (Presbyterian Women’s Missionary Union) was formed at Dunkeld on 23rd October 1923 with Mrs Gillan as President.
Birth of Elise, daughter of Dr Sam and Moree Fitzpatrick of Hamilton. Elise married Jim Robertson. Her husband died when their children were young. She married secondly Garth Clabburn. Elise was the founding member of the Dunkeld and District Historical Museum. She died on 19th May 1989.
Opening of the first swimming pool (near the sawmill).
The Dunkeld War Memorial was unveiled on 4th August 1929.
Dunkeld fire brigade was formed in February 1932. The first President was Rev. George Fisher and the Secretary was Claude Taylor.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 585 residents
The Dunkeld Mountain Climb Carnival was held on Monday October 14th, 1935. Bernie Burke of Essendon was the winner of the event.
The Dunkeld branch of the Country Womens Association was formed in 1935. Mrs A.A.Young was the first President, Miss O.A.Stimson, Secretary and Mrs T.S.Woodburn was Treasurer.
"Buster", at 13 years of age on the day of the Mount Abrupt Run in 1935. He completed the full course from the Dunkeld racecourse to the summit of Mount Abrupt to the racecourse and back, in bare feet and was rewarded with a suit from Millers & Co store in Hamilton for his tremendous effort.
The first Dunkeld Cup was run at the Dunkeld Race Course, in memory of well known identity William Thomson, of "Corea", Dunkeld.
Mount Sturgeon Lodge Temple was built on land donated by the Armytage Partnership and the first meeting was held there on 12th January 1938.
Electricity turned on at Dunkeld by Mrs W. Collins of Dunkeld.
An Avenue of flowering gums was planted by CWA members on 14th September 1939, stretching west from the town boundary along the Hamilton Road.
Lance Golding was involved with transport all his life, and in particular, the timber industry. In the 1940s he carted to the Dunkeld sawmill and in the 1950s for soldier settlers.
Mr A T Fitzpatrick received permission to erect a sawmill at Dunkeld.
Wor Bro G.S. Gibbons, P.M. of the Mt Sturgeon Lodge No 196 was enrolled a Life Governor of the Freemason's Homes of Victoria.
Chairman of the Australian Wool Corporation. He was a brother in law to Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser.
A bushfire started on 14th February went on to destroy about 37 houses and buildings in Dunkeld. There was severe district devastation.
The death of 39 year old Agnes Ethel Godfrey occurred at Hamilton on 21st January 1944. Agnes and her husband Bill had been defending their home in the bushfire on 14th January 1944 when she collapsed.
Disbandment of 9th Battalion Volunteer Defence Corps.
Olive Stimpson, Dunkeld Post Office employee receives thanks from Australian Comforts Fund in 1945.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 393 residents
The Victoria Valley school closed on 4th August 1948.
Karabeal Golf Club was formed at the 2nd Karabeal School on 7th August 1948.
Dunkeld Sub-Branch of the RSSAILA (Returned Sailor's Soldier's Airmen's Imperial League, now the Returned Services League) held a "Diggers' Ball" on Friday March 3rd 1950 to raise funds for the Dunkeld RSL building fund.
Claude Dark of Mirranatwa became a Dundas Shire Councillor in August 1950. He represented the East Riding
Constable George McKenzie was in charge of the Dunkeld Police Station from 1936 until 1950. George was the last Mounted Constable at Dunkeld. He was a colourful character who helped keep many of the district young from slipping into bad habits.
The Dunkeld Consolidated School opened as a Group School
First school buildings on Victoria Valley road site opened.
On 17th August, 1953, the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes No 235 opened their Dunkeld Lodge. 26 new members were initiated, and over a period of nine years, 102 people joined.
Opening of the Dunkeld & District Memorial Park at 11am on Sat April 17th, 1954.
Back to Dunkeld and opening of the Dunkeld Soldiers memorial Park
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 551 residents
Joy Clarke received recognition of her valuable contribution to the Australia Remembers Program during 1995, the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II.
School at Dunkeld proclaimed a Consolidated School
Roy Cameron, achieved fame in a different sphere. He was schooled here at Dunkeld, was Knighted for his work as a pathologist in Britain during the Second World War. He was responsible for plans to protect civilians against germ warfare.
Ollie Stimson controlled the township from the post office. She could use the telephone plugs to great effect in times of fire or accidents and was a moving force in community activities. She retired in 1957 after serving in the Postal Department for over fifty two years.
Plans prepared for mass installation of Septic Tank Sewerage System
Dunkeld water supply was commissioned in 1959
New tennis courts built
Bowling Green opened
Infant Welfare Centre at Dunkeld opened.
Leigh Simpson was a retiring hero (A D.F.C from the Royal Flying Corps) who helped the district through his work with the hospital, the schools, the fire brigade, a radio link up, and many other ways. He was also a Shire Councillor (Dundas Riding).
The laying of the foundation stone of the new St Mary's Anglican Church, Dunkeld took place on 25th March 1961
Opening & Dedication of St Andrews Church, Mirranatwa on 17th September 1961
Mirranatwa school closed on 17th July 1961
Les Cordy of Cavendish became a Dundas Shire Councillor in August 1961. He represented the East Riding.
The State Savings Bank opened in Dunkeld in a new building on 28th June 1962.
Committee formed to develop caravan park site.
John Gale, of Dunkeld became a Queen's Scout at a presentation Ceremony at Government House, Melbourne on Saturday 27th October 1962.
Dunkeld Hall officially opened after remodelling
Grampians Golf Club was formed on 14th May 1964
Dunkeld Regional Branch Library opened
Grampians Golf Course opened with12 holes completed, then in 1967 another 6 were finished. The course was officially opened on 29th October 1967 by His Excellency the Govenor of Victoria, Sir Rohan Delacombe. The course, 7km from Dunkeld on the Victoria Valley Road, was opened with 190 foundation...
Opening of the Dunkeld Memorial Park Swimming Pool 24th November 1966.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 459 residents
Tourist road through to Halls Gap was established in 1966-1967, cost $ 250,000. Partially built with drought funding of $ 50,000
Amy Crawford, wife of William Crawford of Victoria Valley cut the ribbon to turn on the power at Victoria Valley on 20th December 1967.
Grampians Golf Course was completed and officially opened by the Governor of Victoria Sir Rohan Delacombe cutting the ribbon.
SEC Power comes to Mirranatwa. Mrs M G McArthur cut the ribbon to turn the power on at a dance in the local Mirranatwa hall.
The Dunkeld Kindergarten was opened in 1970 with Mary Jones as President, Pat Cullinane, Secretary and Lois Collins Treasurer.
Harold Myers was a quiet observer who loved the district and encouraged the setting up of the Dunkeld and District Historical Museum by donating many unique early Australian items and documents.
Dunkeld Consolidated School Hall opening was held on 25th March 1971.
Local racehorse Tauto, won the W S Cox Plate in 1971, carrying nine stone four pounds.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 397 residents
School teacher Jim McCaskell spent his early career at the Victoria Valley School. He married Catherine Rutter, a teacher at the nearby Victoria Point School. Living at Dunkeld, Jim rode his bicycle to the valley with daughter Julie on the handlebars. Jim was very respected by all who knew him.
Victoria Valley Wool Advancement Group was formed at a meeting at the home of Mrs Len Sutherland of Moutajup.
Dunkeld's manual telephone exchange, became automated in 1975. It was operated Ann Dickie, Mary Collins, Kerri Jones and Joan Waldron.
Dunkeld & District Lions Club Charter Dinner 28th June 1975 in the Dunkeld Hall
A Lions Ladies Auxiliary was formed at Dunkeld on 26th August 1975 with President Elsie White, Secretary Marion Wallis and Treasurer Mary Jones.
The Girl Guides Association registered the 1st Dunkeld Company on 29th May 1975, and the 1st Dunkeld Brownie Pack was registered on 28th July 1975.
Reuben Schache (1897-1977) devoted his life to the township of Dunkeld, and was actively and creatively involved in almost every sphere of township life. The Dunkeld Development League was his creation and it was responsible for the great progress of the town in the late 1940s, 50s and 60s.
Harriet Napier (1875-1978). Wife of William Napier of Mirranatwa.
On 20th November 1979 the Lions Ladies Auxiliary changed their name to the Lioness Club.
The "Friends" group, working for the elderly was formed on 9th September 1980 with Rev. David Manks as the foundation President.
The Dunkeld Lioness Club held their charter meeting on 6th June 1980.
Edna Collins was an indomitable soul through the 1910-1980 period of time. She was a great horsewoman, winning many novelty events, a hard worker, a positive community helper and an independent thinker.
A foundation meeting was held at the Dunkeld Hotel on 22nd July 1981, where the Unchartered Apex Club of Dunkeld was formed.
Dunkeld Apex Club was chartered, It was by sponsor by Hamilton Apex Club on 18th February 1983 with President Andy Gordon, Secretary Dale Collins and Treasurer Gary Sommerville
The Dunkeld Senior Citizens Club was formed on 4th February 1983, with first President W Morse, Vice Presidents Des Hogan and Ivy Picken, Secretary Lois Collins and Treasurer Brian Joyce.
In March 1983, Elise Clabburn called a meeting, held at the Dunkeld Consolidated School, to purchase the former Presbyterian Church, built in 1865, to become the Dunkeld & District Historical Museum.
Jack Baxter (1898-1983) was a stalwart community man. He gave his time freely to many causes and was involved with the Dunkeld Racing Club, acting from time to time as their Treasurer, Assistant Secretary and Secretary. He acted as Secretary in the inaugural Mt. Abrupt Mountain Run in 1935.
Grampians Piecemakers Quilting Group was formed on 22nd March 1984, meeting at the Dunkeld school library. Since then the meetings have been held in members homes.
The Grampians National Park was proclaimed on 1st October 1984.
Old Fashioned Picnic at the Mount Sturgeon Ford was the first Dunkeld Museum function.
Dunkeld's 150th Anniversary Committee Talent Night Oct 12th 1985.
Dunkeld Museum official opened on 12th October 1985 by Paul de Serville.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 412 residents
The Elderly Citizens Units in Templeton St were completed and the first residents moved in.
Major Mitchell plaque was unveiled in Victoria Park, Dunkeld on 14th September 1986 by Professor Manning Clark, in honor of Major Mitchell, who passed through the district in 1836
The Dunkeld Pony Club was formed
Telecom-Jaycees Advance Australia Award for her contribution to her community
Opening of the Dunkeld Holiday House for handicapped people on Sunday 5th April 1987.
Dunkeld back to Celebrations 10-13th March 1989
Andrew Riddle (1889-1989). Husband of Alice, nee Field of Victoria Valley.
Amy Adelaide Crawford (1887- 1991). Wife of William Crawford, Sierra Park, Victoria Valley.
Daphne Lewis (1891-1992). Wife of George Lewis, she lived her later years at Victoria Valley with her sister Effie McArthur.
Victoria Police Force held a Public Meeting at the Dunkeld hall on 10th March 1993 to establish a Neighbourhood Watch Programme for the district.
Claude Taylor (1906-1993), served Dunkeld well. He drove the school bus, served as a Councillor (Dunkeld Riding), operated movie shows in the local hall.
Millicent Young of Dunkeld, wife of Arthur Young. Millie didn't consider herself a local as she wasn't born in Dunkeld. She was alert and interested in local affairs, even at the grand age of 105. An excellent communicator, we believe she qualified as a living treasure. She died at 107 years of age.
The Visitor Information Centre opened on Sept 2 1994, just prior to Shire amalgamation from Dundas Shire to the Southern Grampians Shire. The Right Hon Patrick McNamara, Deputy Premier and Minister for Tourism officially opened the Centre in the presence of Cr Eda Ritchie, Mt Rouse Shire President.
Elise Clabburn. Extension of the Dunkeld Historical Museum was opened on Friday 4th February 1994 by the Governor of Victoria, His Excellency the Hon. Richard E. McGarvie.
Census records indicate that Dunkeld now has 444 residents
Australia Day event - first Australia Day award recognition ceremony.