For over 100 years, the Dunkeld Hall has provided a meeting place and community space for the people of Dunkeld and District
The foundation stone for the Dunkeld Hall was laid by Harold Armytage on 27th September 1892. In this era the hall was used as the Mechanic’s Institute and Public Library.
The Hall was a meeting place for the community and books were also able to be read in the library as well as being available for loan. The reading room was well patronised by those interested in the Melbourne dailies and the long running Hamilton Spectator.
A supper room was added in the early 1930s and the front of the building was altered and internal toilets added in the 1960s. It was extensively remodelled in 2013 and the RSL building was demolished to make way for the renovations.
The RSL room is now located within the building and was named as the Henry Leech Room in honour of local resident, the late Mr Henry Leech, O.A.M, who was a WW2 prisoner of war.
The World War 1 Honour Roll which was unveiled in 1919, hangs in the older portion of the hall, that was preserved.
Over the years, the hall has been the focus for concerts, balls, weekly films, weddings and various other events. The library was removed in 1960 when the mobile library became available.
In present days the hall is known as Sterling Place - Dunkeld Community Centre, and is an all access, modern function and events space.